What is Delta Module One?
The Cambridge Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Delta) is the most recognised in-service qualification for English language teachers anywhere in the world. It is moderated by the University of Cambridge and is intended for those who plan to progress their careers in English teaching. The qualification is aimed at working teachers, generally those who have at least 2 years of full-time varied experience.
Our course preparing you for Module One is a two-week intensive course from 3rd to 14th April.
The course aims to provide you with the exam strategies and methodological input necessary for the Delta Module One exam. While many centres offer exam practice courses, our course also includes input on the methodology syllabus tested in the exam and additional language awareness input.
Module 1 is assessed externally through 2 x 90-minute written examinations in either June or December and focuses on the background to teaching and learning English in a range of contexts. There are 6 topic areas:
- Theoretical perspectives on language acquisition and language teaching
- Different approaches and methodologies including current developments
- Language systems and learners’ linguistic problems
- Language skills and learners’ problems
- Knowledge of resources, materials and reference sources for language learning
- Key concepts and terminology related to assessment
Our preparation course aims to prepare you for the exam by providing:
- Comprehensive input covering the 6 topic areas above
- A focus on written and spoken discourse
- A language awareness component
- Exam training to prepare you for the final written examination
- Timed exam practice, tutor feedback and a ‘mock’ exam
- Access to key literature relating to the topic areas
- Personalized study plans for background post-course reading and research
The course is for teachers who passed their CELTA qualification at least one year previously and ideally have two years’ EFL teaching experience. You should not apply for the Delta if you have not already gained experience in EFL teaching.
The enrolment deadline for the exam is six weeks before exam day, which is always the first Wednesday in June and December. We must receive your enrolment fee before this date in order to be able to enrol you for the exam.
Jon Rose is a CELTA/Delta trainer with more than 25 years’ experience working as a teacher in Spain, Egypt, the UAE, Australia and Vietnam in academic institutions and private language schools. He been a Delta trainer since 2004 and is a Module 3 Assessor.